Thursday, January 9, 2014

60 Years Old! What’s Up With That?!?




215 days until I turn 60.  I know it’s only a number, however it is a BIG number.  While I haven’t done a broad survey, I've had conversations with friends and colleagues.  And what they have shared is that turning 40 and 50 was not a big deal.  Certainly, I agree with that.  Turning 60 really tough!  And yes, I agree!  I know I am not alone.  Heck, Oprah Winfrey turns 60 in 2014.  According the to Intranet, she’s throwing a big bash.  I am not (throwing a big bash, I am indeed turning 60).

I have thought about celebrating with the cruise to Alaska I haven’t taken, returning to Paris, or finally going to Italy.  The challenge for me is that I don’t want to do a trip like that on the very special occasion of turning 60, alone.  I’ve considered throwing myself one of those trips and including my daughter and her husband and my son.  However, said daughter has five (count ‘em) weddings this coming summer and has all but said “Sorry Mom,  we won't have time to visit you”.

I tried a Google search for how many Americans turn 60 in 2014.  I couldn’t find anything.  This is the first time that I’ve been stumped by Google, or perhaps I stumped Google.

AARP notes that 8,000 people turn 65 every day…but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Here are some of the things I am trying to understand and perhaps work on this year. 

  • I have a great job, in fact I’ve had a stellar and unexpected career.  Now, after 35 years, I’m no longer enthralled and intrigued with what I am doing.  What new career adventure might I be able to have?
  • I’ve been single for 20 years.  The kids were 7 and 10 when we ended our marriage.  I’ve devoted the past 20 years to the kids and to building my career with my “head of household” responsibilities.  Things have changed.  I have an opportunity to pay more attention to me now.  The role change isn’t easy, however it could lead to something interesting.

On Facebook I learned about “One Little Word”.  I’ve never been a big fan of activities like this, however I do know I am truly capable of being a “negative Nellie” at times, so I am giving it a try.  My word for 2014 is JOY.  And today is Day 9.  It feels good to end each day well, the past nine days, posting the moment or moments of JOY I experienced during the day.  Maybe Norman Vincent Peale was right about the power of positive thinking.

Change your thoughts and you change your world.

What about you?  Are you thinking, questioning, or resolving any of the same issues?  Let’s talk, leave me a comment! 



4 comments:

  1. Ha! I think you did stump Google. That could be your next post - How to Stump Google. ;-) I love your word for 2014. I'm going to pick a word, too...got a few moving around in my brain at the moment but I want to pick the right one. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Shannon. I am dumbfounded that Google could be stumped.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this! You are a fantastic writer and I'm always intrigued by your observations. Keep this going- you are extremely motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gina. I'm so glad you like this. Thanks for visiting the blog! Gena

    ReplyDelete