Saturday, February 15, 2014

Happy (belated) Valentine’s Day ~ 2014


Funny Valentine's Day Ecard: Sorry that right now there's a 4th grader who has 29 more Valentines than you do.

Ahhh…. the things we can learn from those younger than us.  A colleague introduced me to the idea of “Singles Awareness Day” as an alternative to Valentine’s Day.  I found this notion pretty funny and immediately posted to my personal Facebook Page.   Once I arrived home I googled “Singles Awareness Day” and lo and behold, it is not just someone’s idea of a joke!  It is actually a day!  Who knew?  Not this girl! Also known as “Singles Appreciation Day” or unfortunately by its initials S.A.D. (which really stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder).  There are over 67 Million results on Google!  Sometimes celebrated on February 14th, it may also be celebrated on either the 13th or the 15th.  Singles Awareness Day revelers often wear green rather than Valentines Day red or pink.  How very appropriate that I wound up wearing teal on the 14th.

My “half-birthday” was February 12th.  Less than six months to the “Big 6-0!  One hundred and seventy-seven days.  I have to say that I’ve had a bit of a mind shift in the past 46 days, since beginning this blog on January 1st.  I’m certain that “One Little Word” (see my January 9, 2014 post or check out this website: http://aliedwards.com/blog/one-little-word) is part of the realization of the mind shift.  First to my surprise (sort of, but not really) I have found it easy to call out at least one joyful moment each day, and often there have been many. Despite my apparent aversion to simplistic solutions to challenging issues, this exercise has demonstrated that the power of positive thinking works.  As a child growing up, my Mother had Dr. Norman Vincent Peale’s book, The Power of Positive Thinking on the bookcase.  I've not read the book and will likely add it to my never ending reading list.

Certainly reminding myself to identify the JOY that is in my life everyday, doesn’t eliminate my feelings about the areas of my life that aren’t quite what I want them to be.  However, I am finding a better balance; remembering to attend to a broader range of experiences.  I am an optimist, always confident that whatever I want or strive for is out there and I only need to figure out how to make it happen.  Yet I have spent an inordinate amount of time over the years, struggling with “can’ts, won’ts, don’ts and shoulds/shouldn’ts”.  My “One Little Word”, JOY, is helping me move in a great direction.  So this big ol’ scary birthday… isn’t as threatening or scary as it was a mere six weeks ago.

PS:  Check out my "Book List" on the right.  These are books I am currently reading or have read and really appreciated.  Please feel free to suggest books for me (and others) to read!

PPS: If you haven't already, check out the Soudain Soixante Facebook page, it's not super lively... however that could change!


No comments:

Post a Comment