Monday, February 24, 2014

Where Have All The Good Men Gone?(sung to "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?")


I’ve been having some interesting thoughts lately about singlehood; at least I think they are interesting.  I’m not sure that anyone else would find them interesting.  One of the reasons that I don’t know whether anyone else would be interested is that I don’t actually know anyone else who is single at 59, or at least anyone who seems very much like me who is single at 59.  Or put another way, 95% or more of my friends and acquaintances are married, coupled or partnered.

So, are you able to guess what I did?  Of course you are!  I started googling things.  First question for Google: How Many American Marriages End in Divorce.  Here’s what I learned:
  •           There are twice as many marriages as divorces in a year
  •           Divorce rates and marriage rates are both decreasing 
  •       The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41% 
  •       The divorce rate in America for second marriage is 60% 
  •       The divorce rate in America for third marriage is 73%

 Age at marriage for those who divorce in America (2011)
Age
Women
Men
Under 20 years old
27.6%
11.7%
20 to 24 years old
36.6%
38.8%
25 to 29 years old
16.4%
22.3%
30 to 34 years old
8.5%
11.6%
35 to 39 years old
5.1%
6.5%

Interesting info, but not helpful.

Second question for Google had to do with friends setting friends up for dates.  This one is fascinating to me in a humorous way.  I’ve rarely had friends or family offer to set me up with anyone, and in many respects I think this is a good thing.  The consequences of a “date gone wrong” could be awkward all the way around.  Why ruin a good friendship?  However, I have been known to discuss this issue with friends.  This past fall, I talked with a married man I know, about my frustration with online dating and quipped about where all the single men between the ages of say 55 and 62 were?  I asked him how many single men he knew.  He responded that he knew several, but they were single for a reason and he wouldn’t introduce me.  I laughed, in part because I wasn’t asking to be introduced. And then I said to him, so if one of those men asked you if you knew any single women, would you say “yes, but they are all single for reason”.  Really, I kid you not.  There was no response.  A few weeks later, I had the same exact conversation with a girlfriend.  She told me that she and her husband had talked about whether or not they knew anyone they could introduce me to, but…all of the men they knew were single for a reason.  Me too!  I am single for a reason.  I find this fascinating!  Would love to read your thoughts.  Please leave a comment!  Or feel free to introduce to a man who is single for no reason at all!

 Funny Flirting Ecard: I'd really like to set you up with my friend who nobody else will consider dating.



No comments:

Post a Comment