Monday, January 12, 2015

Oh The Stories We Tell...

Here it is, January 12th. Where is my 2015 journey taking me so far?

More soul-searching, which I enjoy. Toward the end of December, coffee with my friend Kate led to a conversation about the stories we tell ourselves. I have to admit that the conversation challenged me. I let it sink in for nearly a week then went on one of my inevitable Google searches about stories. My search took me through several blogs that weren't really what I was looking for; then all of a sudden I found this!



A book...The Power of Story by Jim Loehr.

I'm a mere 43 pages in however I believe The Power of Story will be this years touchstone for me. "Your life is your story. Your story is your life."

I've understood self-fulfilling prophesies for many decades; "self-fulfilling prophecy is a prediction that directly or indirectly causes itself to become true, by the very terms of the prophecy itself, due to positive feedback between belief and behavior." However, I haven't thought about it through the lens of the stories I tell about myself and how portions of those stories have held me back. Certainly some of the stories have propelled me forward as well, but perhaps only for a sprint rather than the marathon of my lives' journey.


Day 9 Photo of the Day
Followed by "coffee with Kate" came "reasoning with Ross". Ross is another friend of mine. I can tell he cares deeply and wants only to see me find myself and conquer my world. Ross suggested a "corporate consulting experience" that creates "breakthrough results". Ross has suggested it to me before, however this time I did some research both on the company's website and on a number of other sites. At first I thought, what do I have to lose? And Ross had warned me about "pressure tactics". Those tactics would generally be enough to scare me off, however...I wanted to be open...yet reading the number of articles I did, I've pretty much decided this program is not for me. Besides, I also spoke with a friend who knows several people who have completed the program.  They all say it changed their lives, however seemed like they didn't like the process much. One of them is a colleague of ours...and this colleague appears to have some issues so that isn't a resounding recommendation.

For now, I'm sticking with the book. I'm curious to see what I do with my story. I hope you'll stay tuned.

What else is going on?

  • Seattle Seahawks going for the NFC championship again!
  • Attending a Rick Steves' "tour reunion" and several workshops next weekend
  • Started a 365 or Photo A Day project, to see what I can do with my camera and photography
  • Made plans to travel to Vancouver, BC (Canada) when my daughter and son-in-law will be there briefly on a layover
  • Making plans to travel to Colorado in May to host a baby shower for my daughter (shhh...don't say anything, she doesn't want me to post about this) and yes...that means I am going to be a Grandmother!
  • I've already applied for two jobs this year. Ruled out of one of them right away! And haven't heard from the other one yet
  • And (insert drum roll here!) I had a "meet & greet" that I really enjoyed. Stay tuned to see if there is a follow up date!

One of the 365 photos I didn't pick as a photo of the day!
















You don't have to search for new posts! You can have posts sent directly to your email! Follow this link:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/SoudainSoixante

CREDITS:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/The-Power-of-Story/Jim-Loehr/9780743294683
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy

PHOTOS: Glowing Tree and Bird on Tree photos are mine!!

No comments:

Post a Comment