Sunday, April 12, 2015

Missing Missives

Early Bloomers
If you subscribe to Soudain Soixante, thank you! If you don't subscribe, and would like to, it's super easy. Simply enter your email address and click "Submit" in the box to the left. Every new post will be sent to you directly, and you won't have to check! I threaten to post weekly, however reality is just six posts in 2015 (that would be six posts (or emails) in 15 weeks. I am so not inundating your email box!

I just finished checking Google for "blog title ideas when you haven't posted in a while". One of the articles I skimmed suggest alliterations make for decent titles...thus "Missing Missives". The article that tickled my fancy came from Digital Nomads (see credits below) who thinks that it's pretty ridiculous that we bloggers worry about this. Tony, the author of that post assumes that there are three reasons why bloggers don't post. One, we have had nothing interesting happening, two, we have too many interesting things happening, or three we have bad news. In my case, numbers two and three are true.

There are too many interesting things happening in my life. There are career changes that I mentioned briefly in my last post. There is a new opportunity for romance. There is a granddaughter due to arrive in late June, which means trips for a baby shower and for her birth. Plus I continue to pursue my photography. The "bad" news (although I could argue that it might not really be "bad" news, it's more been challenging news) has to do with the career changes.

In late January/early February I became a causality of a corporate restructuring. This came from nowhere, and was indeed quite the surprise to me. It hasn't actually taken place yet. The position I held before has ended however I am still working on "special projects" for at least another six weeks or so. It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride I have to say. No matter ones age, losing employment is not ideal, however as a 60 year old woman, who is her sole provider, this is really tough. I am asking many questions. What do I want to do? What are my options? How do I market myself at this point in time? Do I want to keep doing what I have done for the past 35+ years? What else could I do with my reasonably stellar experience and skill sets? How long can I live without a job? How much downsizing might I want and/or need to do? There is also some relief in this happening. Some of these questions I've been asking off and on for several years now. The position I held, wasn't one that allowed me to play to my strengths, so perhaps I can find a gig that does. Hopefully I can find something that leaves me happy to wake up in the morning again. The employment and earning statistics aren't good. They suggest that workers who lose their jobs at 60 have a more difficult time finding employment and that when we do, we earn 30% less than what we were earning at our last job. And honestly, I've worked nearly full-time since I started at the Dairy Queen when I was 15. I took four months off when my daughter was born, and was able to take three years off when my son was born and stayed home with both kids (what a joy and blessing it was to be able to do that!). If I were married or in a committed relationship, a conversation would be taking place about whether I needed to keep working full-time. Alas, that is not my circumstance so I do need to keep working.

As for romance, that long-distance relationship continues. The "third" date was at his home and was really fun. I find it grounding to be able to know where people live and work and play. This was a six day event, and really all went well. We continue to communicate via Skype, text messages, phone calls and emails. Another "date" is planned for the end of April. The distance feels like a challenge at times and yet is also a relief. For me, I experience less of my self-imposed drama and there is none of the "frantic-ness" that I have sometimes experienced in the early stages of a relationship. Who knows how long it will last? I don't need to force it. It is what it is.

So here I am, in positions that I didn't expect to be in: 

  • Potentially unemployed
  • Thinking of how to reinvent myself at 60
  • Testing the waters of romance in a very different way
  • Musing about what the first decade of the last third of my life will be
What about you? 
  • Have you lost a job at any point in your life? If so, what questions did you ask yourself? What did you do?
  • Have you ever consciously reinvented yourself? What was that process like? Do you have any advice?
  • Any advice for long-distance relationships?

I'll post again, I just don't know when. Taking things one day at a time.

PS:  Are you missing my "Travel" tab up above. It's my fault. I tried to add "Day Four" of the Rick Steves tour, and did something wacky to the formatting and I just don't have the wherewithal to work on it right now.  I will....eventually.

CREDITS:

PHOTO:  My neighbors early blooming flowers was one of my 365 photos, that received positive reviews on my personal Facebook page.

http://www.digitalnomads.us/the-sorry-i-havent-posted-in-a-while-post/


No comments:

Post a Comment