Sunday, May 24, 2015

Moving On...

Soaring!
While I haven't posted in a month (guess I over-promised on the weekly posting goal!) I have made tremendous movement in my adjustment and acceptance of this forced career change!

I quip I will one day send my colleague a "thank you note" for the chaos she helped to create in my life. I will never send a note; reality is I now believe something good will come from this experience. After all, I've been frustrated and unhappy with my career for some time. It  is time to move on.

I've started my career transition coaching process, having completed two sessions. As is typical, the first session was primarily a "meet & greet", telling my story. The second session focused on homework that I was given after Session #1.

The homework took me in several interesting directions. Looking at what my sources of passion are and at my life stories. Stories, as in plural.  As a social worker and sometime therapist I'm comfortable telling my life story, however this exercise took me to a new place as it focused on function, not dysfunction! I was asked to consider my life from the perspective of highs and lows, or peaks and valleys over my 60 years, and as I did a trend became so clear to me around the peaks! This truly is something I hadn't noticed before! My "highs" are around learning, teaching or sharing. The happiest, most productive decade of my life was in my 40's (interesting because this is also the decade that my marriage ended which I was most unhappy about). I was in school, learning & earning my doctorate. I was attending professional conferences and meeting really smart, talented people in my field. I was submitting articles for publication and presentation. I presented at local, state, national and international conferences. I was affiliated with two significant national organizations in my chosen field.

Then I moved. 3,000 miles away. From the East Coast to the West Coast. And those connections and opportunities became harder for me to maintain as I became more immersed in my Seattle life.

So here I am, in what my transition coach calls the "reevaluation" phase of career change. I have become increasingly dissatisfied with my job and/or career. I felt trapped. I had a growing sense of wanting something more or different yet trying not to lose what I had. I want and need a change.

Over the next few sessions, we will work together so that I can move from "reevaluation" to "renewal".

The sources of passion work is great fun for me because PASSION is my "One Little Word". You can read more about this HERE. I love what my coach suggests I keep track of! Look at this very cool list of things that:

  • I am passionate about...
  • I love...
  • Energize me are...
  • I'm enthusiastic about...
  • I can't imagine not having in my life...
  • Make me feel really alive...
  • Fascinate me...
  • Make me lose track of time...
  • Allow me to express myself...
  • Seem to feed something in me...
  • Are my favorite hobbies...
  • I wish I had more time for...

So despite the trauma of being laid off, I am working through the stages and the details. I've identified a realtor and will likely have my house on the market within four weeks and will downsize to an apartment. I have a job interview next week, and another application pending. I have signed up to take a Certification Course in Appreciative Inquiry. I have a boyfriend. I have a granddaughter arriving in late June. So much to be excited about and grateful for.

I thoroughly enjoyed the following two articles this week. The first is about relationships with this quote that resonated with me: 


"Don’t you want that special someone to feel just as excited to
be with you as you are with them? "

The second link is about moving. At first I wasn't sure I agreed with the author, yet each of the five reasons resonated.

Things I Read This Week:

http://elitedaily.com/dating/choose-someone-chooses-you/1032778/
http://elitedaily.com/life/staying-settling-need-move-5-times-life/751829/

Credit Where Credit Is Due:
The photograph is mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment